Monday, November 4, 2013

Apple Butter!

Apple of my eye

As you know, I've just recently found out how to properly use a mason jar. Did you know, they were created for an actual purpose? Not just for sipping whiskey and coke. I know, I know, I was shocked about that too.

I decided to utilize these mason jars by making apple butter! You cannot tell me that apple butter does not scream fall. Top it off with some warm, homemade bread and you'll be one happy camper.

With fall being in full bloom (too ironic?), the apples are among us. I challenge each and every one of you to utilize this season to do something with fresh apples! Pies, tarts, jams, juices- anything. Just stop passing them by or it'll be too late!

Ingredients:
- 6 quarts of diced apples: I mixed granny smith and fuji
- 2 3/4 cups sugar: If you decide not to use tart apples, don't use as much sugar
- 2 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt

Start out by peeling and dicing all of the apples. This helps if you've got an awesome friend (or a reluctant husband) to help! This is by far the most labor intensive part of the recipe. After this is finished, it's cake.

Next, put apples in your largest cooking pot. Drizzle the spices and sugar over the apples. Cover and cook on high for about 4 to 5 hours. Stir occasionally with a whisk.

You'll know your apple butter is complete when it's dark in color and becomes thick. To jar your butter, click here.

Enjoy with ease! 
Xx,
Alex 



No comments:

Post a Comment